To create a city that works for all, we need to have a vision. Policy without vision is like driving blind-folded. In this short posting we would like to explore the vision of a Soft City. You will have your own ideas on this but here are ours. And of course your comments and suggestions are as always most welcome.
- The Soft City is recognizable. Has a clear sense of identity. When you’re there you know where you are.
- Proximity: In contrast with the reality of sprawl and limited accessibility for the majority, a place where many things you need in your daily life are within a comfortable and safe walk or bike ride.
- The Soft City is quiet and clean.
- And safe – for all but above all for women and children (who are visibly apparent on the street).
- There are people on the streets (eyes on the street, assuring safety and amenity).
- Traffic is light, unobtrusive and moves slowly – in tempo with the others sharing the street.