WORLD STREETS is betting its future over the coming two-year transition period on the ability of certain ambitious responsible cities, nations, organizations and citizens in different parts of the world to come together to break the downward pattern of climate stress — and specifically plan and execute highly aggressive near-term initiatives aimed at sharply cutting greenhouse gas emissions from the mobility sector. And doing all this while working with tools, policies and strategies that harness proven, cost-effective, readily available, measures, technologies, operational and management competence. It is our job is to support them as best we can.
CONCEPT SUMMARY (as of Thursday, May 16, 2019)
“The power of a new mobility concept depends not on how well it solves a given, targeted problem. But on how many problems it (partly) solves.” – Marco Te Brömmelstroet
- INTRODUCTION: The greatest challenge civilization faces today is that of dealing with the unrelenting, unmet, ever-accelerating nightmare of climate chaos. It is the greatest challenge of our generation. Check it out at Climate.NewMobility.org
- TARGET: The day-to-day mobility sector accounts for ca. ten percent of all greenhouse gas emissions threatening our planet. That’s a huge target! And it just happens to be our skill set. — https://wp.me/psKUY-4oI Avanti!
- STARTUP: World Streets 2020 collaborative project just getting underway: (a) Climate/Spatial/Mobility 2020 Action Plan (http://bit.ly/2SGXWNu, (b) The 2019 Five Percent Challenge (https://wp.me/psKUY-5AO)
- WHY FIVE PERCENT? (a) Because it got your attention. (b) Because it will encourage cities to go for it. And (c) because we know you can do it.
- REACH. . . wide for critical inputs & feedback to get project right in critical initial stages. Exactly now!
- INTERNATIONAL ADVISORY PANEL brings expertise & experience http://bit.ly/2wc09as (Being updated)
- READERS: Where do our thousands of W/S readers come from? – http://bit.ly/2DxcYjx (149 countries)
- TOOLKIT: First taste of the powerful measures and tools we are putting to work — http://bit.ly/2VHJY3o
- OPEN PROJECT: All materials, content and results posted online and shared FREELY AND widely from the beginning
- INVITATION . . to meet the 5% Challenge – https://wp.me/psKUY-5vwM Make your grandchild proud.
- TEST CASE: Learn from the hotly contested PTMP audit in Penang, Malaysia: http://bit.ly/30qNu0P
- ALTERNATIVE: Given the extreme emergency, there is every reason to encourage projects ready to test alternative approaches to the dire challenges of reducing emissions significantly and quickly.
- FAILURE? And if we fail this first time? Fail early, learn the lesson, charge ahead, don’t hesitate, don’t worry, share widely and openly — and from there move on to something better – https://wp.me/psKUY-5Ar
- STEAL THIS IDEA! It is our firm hope that this collaborative project will not only bring some much-needed fresh ideas to the table, but that others will come in with their own hopefully even better ideas, skills, projects and resources. World Streets stands ready to follow, support and report on this wave of new thinking and action as best we can. Courage! It’s our only brave choice.
If we knew what we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? · – Attributed to Albert Einstein.
# # #
About the project manager
13, rue Pasteur. Courbevoie 92400 France
Bio: Founding editor of World Streets (1988), Eric Britton is an American political scientist, teacher, occasional consultant, mediator and sustainability activist who has observed, learned, taught and worked on missions and advisory assignments on all continents. In the autumn of 2019, he committed his remaining life work to the challenges of aggressively countering climate change and specifically greenhouse gas emissions emanating from the mobility sector. He is not worried about running out of work. Further background and updates: @ericbritton | http://bit.ly/2Ti8LsX | #fekbritton | https://twitter.com/ericbritton | and | https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericbritton/ Contact: email@example.com) | +336 508 80787 (Also WhatApp) | Skype: newmobility.)