Object: Identify and collect necessary info for Alternatives Analysis to weigh advantages/disadvantages of Penang’s BL LRT proposal vs. Sketch plan for package of TDM measures
Preparing for special session on Transport Alternatives Analysis/Impact Screening scheduled for Taipei International TDM Symposium (2017tdm.ntu.edu.tw) of 27-29 Sept. 2017, (Contact email@example.com or Skype newmobility for further information)
CASE STUDY: RM24 billion Bayan Lepas LRT + Island Link 1 proposal vs. an initial sketch plan alternative for several packages of TDM measures and services
I am not an engineer nor do I have all the necessary information in hand, but here are some of the questions, points from a strategic point of view that we must have in hand in order to carry out an Alternatives Analysis of the problems targeted for solution by the SRS Bayan Lepas LRT – for an independent initial expert group to review together in that special session of the Taipei TDM Symposium next month.
Do we have a clear and complete statement of the problem set that the RM 8.4 bn SRS Bayan Lepas LRT proposes to offer their solution to — and where can we find the necessary details for the purpose of the alternatives analysis?
Is it necessary to have the full story on the parallel Pan Island Link 1 highway project in hand as well to carry out the alternatives analysis?
Is there a computerized model available which would permit alternative assumptions to be tested?
Does this particular proposal show up in the Halcrow reports? And if so can we have a summary of their understanding of the problem and proposals.
PS. Interested in joining us for this special session in Taipei next month? We have arranged for substantial discounts for all participants. See http://wp.me/psKUY-511 for details.
# # #
SOME POINTS OF REFERENCE (in process)
- Taipei International TDM Symposium (2017tdm.ntu.edu.tw)
- PTMP – http://pgmasterplan.penang.gov.my
- BL LRT – http://pgmasterplan.penang.gov.my/index.php/en/2016-02-26-03-12-57
- Pan Island Link 1 – http://pgmasterplan.penang.gov.my/index.php/en/2016-02-26-03-12-57/jalanraya-lebuhraya/highways
- Penang Wikia: http://penang.wikia.com/wiki/Bayan_Lepas_LRT
- Penang Wikia http://penang.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Penang_Transport_Master_Plan
- RM17 billion approved for Bayan Lepas LRT and Pan Island Link 1 – http://www.penangpropertytalk.com/2017/06/rm17billion-approved-for-bayan-lepas-lrt-and-pan-island-link-1/
- Penang denies RM24 billion price tag for Bayan Lepas LRT – http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2017/07/18/penang-denies-rm24-billion-price-tag-for-bayan-lepas-lrt/
- Google Map of BL LRT – https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Ux3bhsK-Z6iR0kJYp6Lj0atAfFE&hl=en_US&ll=5.347058720278877%2C100.29500484999994&z=12
- SRS/ERE Environmental Impact Assessment Report https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2ljXMb33Z90YzVvNVVFc3RORUk/view
- Wikipedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penang_Rapid_Transit
# # #
About the author: @ericbritton
13, rue Pasteur. Courbevoie 92400 France
Bio: Founding editor of World Streets (1988), Eric Britton is an American political scientist, teacher, occasional consultant, mediator and sustainability activist who has observed, learned, taught and worked on missions and advisory assignments on all continents. In the autumn of 2019, he committed his remaining life work to the challenges of aggressively countering climate change and specifically greenhouse gas emissions emanating from the mobility sector. He is not worried about running out of work. Further background and updates: @ericbritton | http://bit.ly/2Ti8LsX | #fekbritton | https://twitter.com/ericbritton | and | https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericbritton/ Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org) | +336 508 80787 (Also WhatApp) | Skype: newmobility.)