The goal of this year’s Sustainable Penang Autumn project is to use the dialogues and other contacts in order to define a series of at least ten “transformative actions” that can be planned and carried out over the fifteen months following this first program. With an eye to then reviewing progress action by action in a second event to take place in Penang in the opening months of 2015. A sort of open progress report and collaborative reflection for next steps.
Now the actual selection of these projects/targets will be the stuff of the Focus Groups, Open Dialogues, Master Classes, and other events planned for the period 23 September – 4 October. But to get the ball rolling, here are some of the broad targets that I for one have in mind as we continue our preparations in the weeks ahead.
It goes without saying that to achieve these ambitious but oh so necessary goals, we will not be looking for a measure or project that will suffice to do the job. But once we have broad agreement on the importance of the target, the real work can begin in figuring out how to get there.
We invite your comments and additions to this preliminary list.
Vision – Strategy – Targets – Actions
- Reduce traffic accidents by 50%
- Reduce top speeds on city streets
- Reduce traffic congestion today (While reducing traffic congestion tomorrow)
- “Free” “Public Transport” for Penang
- Reduce stop and start driving
- Reduce number of cars coming into cities
- Reduce barriers inhibiting fair mobility for the handicapped
- Design for Women
- Walk to School
- Get control of parking
- Make Penang a Walkable City
- Increase bicycle use by a factor of ten
- Treat motorized two/three wheelers as a mode and optimize it for efficiency and safety for all.
Now your candidates.
# # #