We have no money gentlemen, so we shall have to think.
– Ernest Rutherford, on taking over Cavendish Laboratory in 1919
World Streets is an independent, collaborative, public interest platform in support of sustainable transport, sustainable cities and sustainable lives and which, as a matter of
policy, we make freely available to all who are looking to understand, support, and contribute to the sustainability agenda anywhere in the world. We firmly believe that there should be no barriers, and especially not commercial ones, to the free circulation of news, tools, counsel and peer exchanges when it comes to the important issues of sustainable development and social justice. To ensure our full independence we do not accept advertising. We depend on the support of our readers, concerned public agencies, foundations and actors in the private sector to keep going.
1. Suggested Guidelines for Donation Levels
The following are set out here simply to give you a point of reference for your decisions. But please, these are only suggestions.
Individuals/Local associations: Basically whatever you can afford and wish to share with our good cause. One possible idea: EUR/USD 50.00 to 100,00 a year. If your circumstances permit, of course consider giving more. Be sure it will be well used. (Again, no one had to pay to read and profit from World Streets.)
Cities and local government: Again, you hold the key to your own(and our) sustainable future. Depending on your size, finances and level of interest in finding new paths for policy and practice, please consider anywhere from EUR/USD 100.00 to 500.00.
Libraries and documentation centers: EUR/USD 150.00/year (This seems to be a reasonable figure relative to the prices of annual subscriptions to useful publications in our sector.)
Transport operators, suppliers: If you are a start-up or small firm, what about EUR/USD 500.00/year? For larger business and financial groups, you may wish to thing in terms of EUR/USA 1500? (If you have your own foundation or budget to support related non-commercial activities, perhaps we could talk?)
Ministries, public agencies desiring to go on record as supporting our work: Anywhere from EUR/USD 100.00 to 1,000.00 would seem to be a fair base. But let’s talk about it since it may make sense to consider linking this to a collaborative project for 2016/18 in one of more of the areas in which we have world-level competence.
Foundations, Donors: May we talk about it? firstname.lastname@example.org | +336 5088 0787 | Skype: newmobility.
2. How to transfer funds to support our work.
To make an immediate contribution via PayPal or credit card:
* For US Dollar contributions, CLICK HERE.
For direct bank wire transfers:
Account Holder: Association EcoPlan International
Account no. 00010465401
Crédit Industriel et Commercial de Paris
Succursale BR (Montparnasse)
202 Blvd. Raspail / 75014 Paris, France
IBAN : FR76 3006 6106 2100 0104 6540 105
Or if you prefer, send a check to:
Association EcoPlan International
9, rue Gabillot
F69003 Lyon, France
* Kindly make your check payable to “Association EcoPlan International”.
3. Other ways you can support our work
* CONSULTANCY/ADVISORY. You can bring in our specialised strategic consultancy/advisory capabilities to support, cross-check, review your new project or plan, on a confidential in-house basis or as an open public review.
* JOINT PROJECTS. Joint projects/project support in collaboration with some of the most capable consultancy groups working in this area.
* TRAINING: In-house training programs lasting several days or up to 2 weeks
* PRESENTATIONS: Public presentations or keynote speeches in support of your conferences or events.
* CONFERENCES. You can bring us in to help you organise significant conferences or events on the broad theme of sustainable transport, but with tightly focused high profile themes and some of the very supporting international speakers.
* CITY TOURS. We organize and lead study tours and missions in Europe, looking into some of the leading cities, projects and innovations in our field.
* ENCOURAGE your library, city, public agency or private sector group to support World Streets.
* MASTER CLASSES. We organise Master Classes for young professionals and university students in the various areas in which we work. Get in touch and we can talk about it.
* AWARDS. Consider recommending us to a foundation or eventually an award program for outstanding contributions in our field.
* BOOK SUPPORT. Foundation, university, thinktank or other support for my book in progress – Late Night Thoughts: The Art of Living Together. (Click here for background information on this project in process.)
Thank you for helping World Streets to continue in 2016 and beyond. We could not do it without you.
Eric Britton, Editor
Annex A: Recent visitors map: Who/where read World Streets this morning?
This map, for better or worse, tells us a great deal about who is pushing the leading edge. And, sadly, who is not. How can we pretend to be making our contribution if we have next to no readers in China, the Russian Federation, and saddest of all Africa. As you can see, we have miles to go before we sleep.
Annex B: And what did they have to say about World Streets, when we asked . . .
* . . . 100 readers asked, and 101 responded – see http://wp.me/psKUY-4oI
Annex C: Some reader faces from World Streeets Online – https://www.facebook.com/WorldStreetsOnline/
# # #
About the editor:
9, rue Gabillot, 69003 Lyon France
Bio: Educated as an international development economist, Eric Britton is an American political scientist, teacher and sustainability activist who has worked on missions and advisory assignments on all continents. Professor of Sustainable Development, Economy and Democracy at the Institut Supérieur de Gestion (Paris), he is also MD of EcoPlan Association, an independent advisory network providing strategic counsel for government and business on policy and decision issues involving complex systems, social-technical change, civil society and sustainable development. Founding editor of World Streets: The Politics of Transport in Cities | See Britton online at https://goo.gl/9CJXTh and @ericbritton
# # #
And about each of us: