Tomorrow, October 24th, our friends over at 350.ORG have organized the biggest day of global political action in the history of our gasping planet – the International Day of Climate Action. World Streets thinks this is a great and practical activist tool which we are pleased to support; we invite you to check it out right here and perhaps get involved too. The planet needs every one of us.
Backdrop:Read Bill McKibben’s recent blog post, “The Science of 350, the Most Important Number on the Planet” – here
On October 24, millions of people across the globe will participate in the most widespread day of environmental action in history, attending over 4,500 simultaneous events in more than 170 countries. Organized by the grassroots campaign 350.org, participants are mobilizing to urge world leaders to support a clear solution to the climate crisis: reducing the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to 350 parts per million.
350 is the most important number in the world–scientists have told us that it’s the most carbon dioxide we can have in the atmosphere, and now we’re making sure everyone knows. We’ll be taking photos from all the events, projecting them on the big screens in New York’s Times Square, and delivering them to major media outlets and hundreds of world leaders in the coming weeks. The combined noise from these events will ensure that world leaders who gather next month at the UN climate talks in Copenhagen to create the world’s new plan on climate change will hear our call. They will know that when negotiating the fate of our planet, there is a passionate movement out there which will hold them accountable.
To help you take part in tomorrow’s international day of climate action, they are:
* Lifting public awareness on the need for an international climate treaty to reach 350
* Assembling a coalition of hundreds of organizations committed to this vision of a more sustainable world
* Connecting you with others in your community and across the planet who are building this movement
* Providing on-line resources and tools that make pulling together an event easy
* Linking your October 24 event with hundreds of other actions at iconic places around the world
* Leveraging the day of action for meaningful political change
From capitol cities to the melting slopes of Mount Everest, even underwater on dying coral reefs—people are holding rallies and visual demonstrations aimed at focusing attention on the 350 target. Highlights include over 200 events across China; major rallies at iconic landmarks like the Taj Mahal, Machu Picchu, the Great Barrier Reef; 350 scuba divers holding an underwater protest in the Maldives; 200 events across the Middle East; and 350 Masaii children hosting a traditional dance on their parched fields in Kenya.
Photos and video footage of events all over the world will be broadcast on giant screens at a culminating event in New York City’s Times Square at 3:50 pm (EDT) on October 24. Footage and photos will also be available for media use at 350.org.
# # #
This positing represents our action participation and support of this great project idea. Have a look and consider how you might wish to join in or otherwise put this network to work.
* Click here for full details: http://www.350.org/plan
* To find an event in your area – http://www.350.org/map
* To organise your own event – Check out their 9 step action plan – http://www.350.org/9steps
* World Streets support action page: http://www.350.org/node/11209