This just published four thousand dollar (EUR 2,995.00) report, in its own words: “Provides Insight into the External and Internal Factors Affecting Consumption and Trends”. The table of contents and list of figures provide a checklist of what they consider worth looking into. Check them out here.
DUBLIN —Research and Markets has announced the addition of the “Car Sharing in the United States 2009” report to their offering. The following text is taken verbatim from their marketing materials, for which we thank them. (Note: they spell car share, etc. as two words?)
About this report
This report explores the car sharing market in the US. It provides insight into the external and internal factors affecting consumption and trends and what they mean for future sales, as well as promotional campaigns and industry innovations. Specific questions that are answered in this report include the following:
* What effects do rising gasoline costs and the economic downturn have on the overall market?
* What companies and interests control the car sharing market?
* How can consumers who are committed to their vehicles be persuaded to purchase a car share membership?
* Where will the car share market be in 20 years and what cities are the leaders?
* What companies are innovating within their segments, and how can others learn from their success?
* How can car sharing operators partner with municipalities and other industries to boost awareness and participation?
* How can car share operators take advantage of the economic downturn to appeal to consumers seeking budget-conscious transit options?
* What media are industry leaders using to deliver effective marketing campaigns and what actions need to be taken to improve visibility?
Some of the Topics Covered:
* Downturn in rentals forces some car rental companies to pursue sharing
* As new car sales decline, consumers may rely more on car sharing
* Municipalities encouraging car-sharing incentives for new home developers
* Toyota launches electric brand targeted just for car-sharing users
* Municipalities, corporations creating exclusive pacts to car share
* Car-sharing Segments
* Key points
* Car sharing is controlled by Zipcar, car rental companies, non-profits
* Key points
* Zipcar dominates car sharing, having vehicle fleets in more than 50 cities
* Zipcar emphasizes convenience more than environmental advocacy
* FastFleet generates revenues through selling car-share technology
* Rental Car Companies
* Key points
* Car rental companies alter car-share market by launching branded service
* Connect by Hertz
* U Car Share
* Key points
* Non-profit car-share programs strive to decrease driving in urban areas
* Key non-profit car-share programs
* Brand Qualities
* OZOcar promotes environmental stewardship through hybrid-only fleet
* Curvy Road’s car-sharing plans provide exclusive rights to fantasy cars
* Innovation and Innovators
* iPhone applications connect passengers, drivers together to share rides
List of figures:
Figure 1: Consumer vehicle miles traveled, all U.S. roads and streets, 1998-2008
Figure 2: Annual membership fees and rates and cities available, national U.S. car-share companies, 2009
Figure 3: Zipcar ad, 2009
Car Sharing—Consumer Awareness
Car-sharing awareness dramatically low; growth potential high
Figure 4: Car share awareness, by gender, March 2009
Early career professionals likely to show more awareness than older peers
Figure 5: Car-sharing awareness, by age, March 2009
Car-sharing awareness rates highest with the wealthiest respondents
Figure 6: Car share awareness, by household income, March 2009
Awareness highest on both coasts; room to grow in nation’s middle, south
Figure 7: Car share awareness, by region, March 2009
Car share membership skews low, suggesting opportunity for growth
Figure 8: Car-share participation, by gender, March 2009
Respondents aged 25-34 are most likely to have car share memberships
Figure 9: Car-share participation, by age, March 2009
The most affluent are most likely to be car-sharing members
Figure 10: Car-share participation, by household income, March 2009
Car Sharing—Reasons Against Participating
Vehicle ownership primary concern among potential car share members
Figure 11: Reasons against car-share participation, by gender, March 2009
Vehicle inventory needed most in neighborhoods where younger users live
Figure 12: Reasons against car-sharing participation, by age, March 2009
Middle-income households present challenge for car-share operators
Figure 13: Reasons against car-sharing participation, by household income, March 2009
Impact of Race and Hispanic Origin
Blacks and Hispanics more aware of car sharing than whites
Figure 14: Car share awareness, by race/Hispanic origin, March 2009
Hispanics show tendency to be more loyal to car sharing than others
Figure 15: Car-share participation, by race/Hispanic origin, March 2009
Hispanics more likely open to car sharing, whites more tied to personal car
Figure 16: Reasons against car-share participation, by race/Hispanic origin, March 2009
Appendix: Trade Associations
* Aldi (USA)
* Alfa Romeo
* Automobili Lamborghini Holding S.p.A.
* Automotive Industry Action Group (AIAG)
* Avis Budget Group, Inc.
* Bebo Inc
* BMW of North America, LLC
* Chrysler LLC
* DaimlerChrysler AG
* Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group, Inc.,
* Enterprise Rent-A-Car Company
* Facebook, Inc.
* Ferrari S.p.A.
* Ford Motor Company (USA)
* Greenfield Online
* IKEA USA
* Kohl’s Corporation
* Mazda North American Operations
* National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA)
* Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
* Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Ltd
* Sirius Satellite Radio Inc.
* The Hertz Corporation
* Toyota Motor Corporation USA
* U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
* University of Michigan, The
* Volkswagen of America, Inc.
* Washington Post Company (The)
* Yelp Inc.
* Zipcar, Inc.
To order the report click here:
– – –
The logo that appears above belongs to our friends Carshare Vermont – http://www.carsharevt.org. – whom we thank for sharing and who will put at your disposal a nice clean car for $15.00/month plus $5/hour and $0.25 mile. You don’t have to worry about paying for gas, maintenance, repairs, insurance, car washes, changing winter tires, parking,or 24- hour emergency assistance. And the environmental benefits to the planet are included in the price. Cheap!
* Click here to go to Burligton Vermont and pick up your shared car today.